Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The silent killer!

I was on the subway one Friday night, coming home from a dinner in Manhatten with my boyfriend, when a homeless man walked down the isle. He had this really bad odor. I mean the kind where you are forced to cover your nose, not even to be rude, but because it made your nose hairs curl up. I tried to cover my nose on the low because i felt really bad and did not want to embarress him but as I turned my head the whole train had thier hands covering thier face. He immediatley saw this and decided to speak on it. The young guys' clothes were torn and worn inside out. He stood about 6 feet and had long hair. He was in desperate need of a cut. He spoke real softly but caught everyones attention. He said goodevening ladies and gentlemen, I am so sorry for my ododr but I am poor, homeless, have not showered in 2 weeks, I have not eaten in days, and I have AIDS. When he said this everyone's eyes shot open, some looked at him in disgust, others moved slowly away from where he stood. He told his story of how his mother and father kicked him out immediatley and cut him off from the entire family. His girlfriend left him out of anger because he unknowingly infected her. All his friends turned thier backs on him when he needed them most. He was dying and there is nothing he could do about it. The most interesting part of the whole story is that he looked perefectly normal. I mena, from appearance you could tell that he was homeless and needed a bath but he didnt look like he was dying inside. The thing young people need to know is that anyone could have AIDS. It's not like aid patients walk around with stamps on thier forehead like I have full blown aids. More importantly, half the people that have AIDS don't even know thier infected. It is the worlds biggest silent killer. With his story the guy stole a lot of passengers hearts as they gave him money and food. He then recited a poem talking about how he keeps his hopes high and is thankful for everyday that he is alive. I was truly touched by this man, so much so that i went home and did research on the AIDS epidemic. The moral of this blog is to be careful of who you have sexual intercourse with because you know when you'll get more than what you bargain for.

No comments: