Thursday, October 16, 2008

Never cook and talk on the phone!

I'm sure everyones mom used to tell you don't cook while talkin on that phone. Well if not im telling you. Do not cook while talking on the phone! It all goes back to December 3 2006. I remember this date so distinctly because it was the same day of step tryouts at my high school. I had just got home and was absolutely starving. I skipped lunch to practice in the gym. So when I got home I immediatley went to the kitchen, hooked up the George Forman Lean Mean Fat Grillin Machine for a burger, and heated up some oil to make fries. Then my girlriend called me gossiping about who she thought was going to make it and who was just crazy for even trying out. I automatically got sunken into the world of high school gossip and forgot all about the oil. Before I know I'm smellin smoke and I immediatley run to the kitchen and a ring of black smoke was surrounding the bottom of the pot. I started to reach over to turn the aisle off and a huge flame engolfed the air. At this point my sister hears the ruckus and decides to see whats going on. Her eys blew up and her face was filled with worry. As the flames grew i got scared that my wooden cabinents would catch on fire because the flame was almost touching it. So, my sister gets this bright idea to move the pot outside. I was in a state of panic so I agreed without even thinking. I grabbed the oven mit (there was only one) and grabbed the pot, keeping my arms as straight as possible to keep the flame away from me. My sister opened the side door and right when she did that a huge wind pushed the flame towards my face. I immediatley dropped the pot and the oil spilled all over my hand. At first I didn't feel a thing. As the oil dropped it was so hot it felt cold. I continued on my mission to put the fire out. My nieghbor ran over to the house and as i bent down to grab dirt and sand my hands stiffened. It started to get real wrinkly. Then it hit me. An internal burning sensation filled my hand with pain. No matter how much I blew it or poured water on it, my hand just would not stop burning. I was rushed to the hospital and told I have third degree burns. They had to peel the dead skin off, exposing pure flesh. I would have to dab it in medicated soap (which contained alcohol) so it stung like..... well you know. It took a whole year for my hand to return to its normal appearance. Through this experience I learned to never talk on the phone while cooking. Its really dangerous.

No comments: